Handymen play an invaluable role in property management and maintenance, tending to repairs and improvements that can elevate a rental’s appeal and functionality. A skilled handyman not only addresses immediate issues but can also preempt potential future challenges, saving property owners both time and money. For landlords, a trusted handyman becomes an indispensable asset, ensuring tenants remain satisfied and properties are well-maintained.
Where to Find Rental Property Handymen
A reliable handyman can be a treasure, but finding one tailored for rental properties requires discernment. The marketplace is vast, and identifying someone who balances skill with an understanding of tenant dynamics can be a challenge. Exploring varied platforms, harnessing personal networks, and tapping into local resources can steer property owners toward proficient handymen.
How Much Do Handymen Cost?
Handyman services encompass a wide range of tasks, and as such, their rates can differ based on complexity, expertise, and regional differences. It’s essential for landlords to understand the market averages and specific task rates to ensure they receive value for money. A breakdown of common tasks can provide clarity on anticipated expenses.
2023 Rental Property Handyman Cost Chart
|Task||Average Cost Range|
|Minor Plumbing Fixes||$50 – $150|
|Painting a Room||$200 – $400|
|Installing Shelves||$100 – $300|
|Tile Repair||$50 – $200|
|Window Repairs||$100 – $350|
|Electrical Minor Fixes||$60 – $200|
|Furniture Assembly||$50 – $150|
|Door Installation/Repair||$70 – $200|
|Drywall Repairs||$100 – $250|
|Light Fixture Installation||$60 – $200|
The #1 Rental Property Newsletter
Once a month, we send out an exclusive Rental Property Market Update with top stories, current mortgage rates, building products, and more. No spam and unsubscribe anytime.
Before you Hire a Handyman for Your Rental Property
Sourcing a handyman is just the initial step; understanding their work ethic, skill set, and compatibility with rental properties can determine the overall success of the partnership. It’s crucial for landlords to conduct due diligence before finalizing any agreements.
Things to Consider
- Check the handyman’s references and reviews.
- Verify they have the necessary licenses or certifications, if applicable.
- Understand their experience with rental properties.
- Discuss availability, especially in emergency situations.
Questions to Ask a Handymen
- What tasks do you specialize in?
- How do you handle unforeseen challenges during a task?
- Do you provide written estimates and invoices for your work?
- How do you manage tasks in occupied rental units concerning tenant privacy and comfort?
- What guarantees or warranties come with your services?
After You Hire a Handyman
Hiring a rental property handyman signifies the beginning of a collaborative relationship. Landlords must stay engaged, ensure smooth communication, and create an environment where both the property and the handyman benefit.
- Open Communication: Establish a transparent line of communication to discuss ongoing tasks and feedback.
- Task Documentation: Maintain detailed records of tasks completed, costs, and any feedback or issues that arose.
- Feedback Mechanism: Regularly review the handyman’s performance and provide constructive feedback.
- Emergency Protocols: Clearly define how emergencies or urgent repairs are to be handled, including after-hours scenarios.
- Scheduled Maintenance: Collaborate to create a preventive maintenance schedule, leveraging the handyman’s expertise to identify potential future issues.
My name is Ryan – I’m an investor, real estate developer, and property manager with hands-on experience in all types of real estate from single family homes up to hundreds of thousands of square feet of commercial real estate. RentalRealEstate is my mission to create the ultimate real estate investor platform for expert resources, reviews and tools. Learn more about my story.